XboxHacker BBS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 02:42:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheapest solution for external power supply to flash drive  (Read 10285 times)
snapcoyote

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2007, 01:35:57 PM »

Since it is recommended now not to use the console connection to power the drive during a flash, I like to know what other options are there.  I'm looking for the cheapest solution possible.  What I've heard so far are:

1. Use a banned console's power supply.
2. Use external enclosure with sata. <-- any idea how much it is?

Thanks.
Utter Chaos
Master Hacker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 02:19:30 PM »

2. Use external enclosure with sata. <-- any idea how much it is?
Just because it has a SATA-connection doesn't mean it will power the drive...
BigK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 02:38:26 PM »

how about ur pc with a molex to sata converter(~5 bucks at some computer sture)
Mock

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 02:50:54 PM »

i came up with a untested solution maybe. but dont thing microsoft will detect if disconnecting the sata cable when the xbox is booted. and sata dont have problems with hotplug. maybe that could solve the problem Wink
bowser22

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 02:53:17 PM »

that is just dumb,you said "use a banned consoles power supply",why in the f*** would you wreck a perfectly good 360 becuz its banned
e5frog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 02:58:47 PM »

A molex to sata adapter won't work since the XBOX ODD has another type of connection. I've posted a link to a homebuild, but the only thing you need to do is connect 12v, 5V, 3.3V and GND to appropriate connector-pins and also a swith between GND and 3.3V and the open/close pin (pull it high or low).

Here's the link to my post:
http://www.xboxhacker.net/index.php?topic=7649.0

If you have a SATA power connector (wide, black with a lot of pins) it also has these four needed wires, +5V usually red, +12V usually yellow, +3.3V usually orange and GND is usually black. Check before you connect.

Either cut an extra SATA power connector off and connect to the ends or open the plastic shield of the wires a bit or simply cut it off an inch or so from the connector (to be able to put that shrinking tube on it) and solder on wires at appropriate length for the 360's ODD.

That's what I plan to do anyway, then I might solder pins to a small board if I can't find a connector that fits the ODD 6x2 pin powercord (two empty positions). Details in the link above.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 03:07:16 PM by e5frog » Logged
snapcoyote

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 03:37:07 PM »

that is just dumb,you said "use a banned consoles power supply",why in the f*** would you wreck a perfectly good 360 becuz its banned

I think you misinterpreted what I meant.  It's possible that the xbox can detect the drive has been disconnected during a flash and log it somewhere to use for the live ban.  What I was referring to was using a banned xbox power connection to the drive to do the flash so even though it is logged that it is disconnected, it doesn't matter b/c its already banned. 
Utter Chaos
Master Hacker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 04:56:16 PM »

I've used this (thank to SeventhSon) last summer to build the external power-supply:

If you want to know how the finished product looks like check this link:
http://utterchaosx.blogspot.com/2006/07/external-360-drive-finished.html

e5frog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 10:44:12 PM »

Well, that's the same apart from the LED indicator for "Tray". Which would perhaps be good to have...

If you skip the LED and already have the 3.3V available, you only need wires and a switch, and possibly pins or connector to connect the original kabel. Using the 3.3 stepdown converter allows you to use a molex connector (white, keyed with four wires - 2 black (GND), 1 red (+5V) and 1 yellow (+12V)) to use directly from the PC's internal powersupply.

Is that a +5V, +12V dual transformer in the finished picture link below? Or is there a 78*05 as well for the 5V and a 12V stabilized power source?
Mike_111

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 04:48:13 PM »

Use the 360's power supply but DO NOT hookup the video cable.  This will prevent the 360 from booting, but it will still power the drive for 5 min (plenty of time to flash).
NOT 4 HL of course!!!!

I just wanna flash the drive, nothing else. So will this work? With all the Xbox360 Drives? And what does HL mean?
If not, any good ideas for the cheapest solution without a do-it-yourself adapter etc. (my fingers are all thumbs Wink?
w007

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 11:17:57 PM »

power it up with this bad boy, i just got mine Smiley really fast delivery too !
Free Shipping to USA and CANADA!
and only $9.99 USD

http://www.diygadget.com/store/xbox-360-adapters/xbox-360-dvd-power-adapter-version-2/prod_22.html
Redline99
Global Moderator
Xbox Hacker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 12:29:45 AM »

Here is what I did. It's the best of two worlds...
1. I get a sata to usb2 converter so I can hook my drive up anytime I want.
2. It is also a cheap reliable power source!

I took the board out of the enclosure and added a small jumper wire for 3.3v.

I still need to hook up a small switch to ground the eject line..
But I've been lazy and haven't found a switch I like.  Wink

Where's Waldo
w007

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 01:13:14 AM »

this is actually the one i bought, power supply from molex, and hdd adapter
 $15.99

http://www.diygadget.com/store/xbox-360-adapters/xbox-360-dvd-and-hdd-adapter-combo-version-2/prod_27.html
zillionare
Master Hacker

Global Modifier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 11:39:50 AM »

this is actually the one i bought, power supply from molex, and hdd adapter
 $15.99

http://www.diygadget.com/store/xbox-360-adapters/xbox-360-dvd-and-hdd-adapter-combo-version-2/prod_27.html

I found the ODD Adapter and Have since read there website....Very confusing because of the difference's in products sold and advertised. ie: v1, v2 and the lack of documentation in the operation of the unit(s).

There is mention of doing intressting things with it.  Roll Eyes ....the only thing I have found is it will power the ODD. I'm guessing after that as It didn't allow me to do anything intressting (flash my drive ms25/ms28/46dh/47dj).

There was no documentation of the devices default configuration....switch location....other than make sure the eject switch is set to close before beginning and that was tossed out the window with version 2 as it uses a locking pop switch not the slide that the version 1 used.

I will post back any additional info I find about this device. to this day it seems it only works with the hatachi and only if it is in debug mode....again no documentation of locked or unlocked on debug switch in documentation as it does illuminate a red light and upon pushing switch it turns green (debug! who knows?)

I can confirm it does eject the drive. but other than that is has no use without documentation.

If anyone has figured out the operation of this device please post it.

peace,
zil

Why buy one, when you can buy two for twice the price.
w007

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 04:52:59 PM »

well first of all those are 2 devices, one is the hdd adapter and one is a power supply to power up your drive !
w007

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 05:00:51 PM »

here are the instructions for use with the HDD adapter

360SATA - Connects XBOX 360 HDD to PC
DiyGadget Part No.: DG-X360-01

Plug SATA cable and Mini USB on to the 360SATA board.

Plug the 260SATA to XBox 360 HDD. Make sure component side facing the Microsoft logo.

Run Xplorer 360. You will see partitions.

Partition 2.

Partition 3.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 05:04:37 PM by w007 » Logged
w007

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 05:04:01 PM »

and the instructions on how to use the power supply!

Connect XBOX 360 DVD to PC Using

XBOX 360 DVD Power Adapter
DiyGadget Part No.: DG-X360-02

Click here for instructions on how to open the XBox 360 case. Once the case is opened, remove the dvd power cable from the motherboard and plug it on to the adapter board as shown in the picture above. Make sure the unused conductors is next to the white Molex connctor. The eject switch is next to the LED. Slide the switch to LED will close the DVD tray. Slide the switch away from the LED will open the DVD tray. Thus, before you connect the power cable, make sure the switch is on the close position.

The adapter is connected to the Xbox 360 DVD.

The Xbox 360 DVD tray is opened by sliding the switch away from the LED.
zillionare
Master Hacker

Global Modifier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 10:37:28 PM »

Yes your right! it is two devices.  Shocked

but both of those in your pictures are different than the ones you posted.  Roll Eyes Does anyone else see this?

and the instructions can't be followed as the white ODD connector is totally different than that green one. and the same on the HDAdapter.   Huh

looks like some new documentation is in order if they want to sell those.....seems good documentation is all thats missing.

also noticed version differences on that site. thanks for the link tho.

I like the package deal but "refer to topic" is this the cheapest solution but worst because it's lack of correct documentation?

peace,
zil

Why buy one, when you can buy two for twice the price.
w007

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 07:09:22 PM »

well i got the package deal, and so far so good, nothing you cant figure out i guess, if i fry it i fry it f***it lol !
also i emailed them asking them to update their instructions and pictures, because "what i said to them" noone at the xbox forums are gonna buy them just because there is no updated instructions Smiley so ill see what they email me back, and by the way i got these hella fast delivery too Smiley
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 07:11:14 PM by w007 » Logged
w007

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 07:55:20 PM »

what i emailed them :

hi i just recently purchased a xbox 360 drive power supply from your site, and i noticed that the instructions are for the version 1 of the power supply, is there anyway you could make some new instructions for the version 2 of your power supply, i was just discussing this with some guys over at xboxhacker.net and thats why some people wont buy it thaks , because there are no instructions of how to use the version 2 of this device ! thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ok so i got an email response from these guys , Smiley looks like they took my advise Smiley\\

Good suggestion.  we will try to come up with instructions with the new version.

Thanks

second email from them stating that they have changed the instructions Smiley awsome

Hi:

We have updated the document:

http://www.diygadget.com/store/connect-xbox-360-dvd-to-pc-using-diygadget-xbox-360-dvd-power-adapter/info_16.html

If you have any suggestions, please let us know.

Thank you and have a nice day!
Pages: 1 2 »
  Print  

Jump to: