XboxHacker BBS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 07:42:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting around the Xbox 360 Updates on a jtagged xbox...?  (Read 1782 times)
Wizshaw

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2010, 08:28:47 PM »

I have a Jtagged xbox that plays all region burns. However the newer games that come out all ask if I want to update to the newest version, but only if the harddrive is attached. Without the harddrive the games play fine, but I cant save anything.

Note: This is not an online xbox, I have another one for that. This xbox is used to play JPN shooters and a couple of other games that I play locally.

So I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there any way to get around the update or even remove the updates all together? (I believe there are two updates, a media update and a dashboard update)

2. If I apply the update, will it screw with my Jtagged xbox/firmware softmod (as in take my ability away to play JPN region titles/burned games)

3. If I have to apply the update, is there a modified update to apply that wont screw my current config and get rid of notices.

Thanks for the help.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:35:47 PM by Wizshaw » Logged
damox
Master Hacker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 08:57:46 PM »

If you are running 9199, then the update just wants to install avatar data.

Just do it.

But yes, you can remove the systemupdate folder from the disk. Just delete it from the image, reburn.
Wizshaw

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 09:11:50 PM »

I really thank you for your help guys. I bought this already configured and I will be removing the updates for now on. But I really know nothing about the console or the updates themselves and thats why I am seeking help.

This is the version number that I have 2.0.8955.0

Im assuming that the new update is 2.0.9199.0?

And its ok to update to this newest version? What about the media update?

And these versions DO NOT Screw with the jtag or the softmod flash.

Again, sorry for the questions and I thank you for your time.

Chris
damox
Master Hacker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:15:37 PM »

If you are using a "jtaged" box, the only update you can do is whta you are currently on. i.e. 8955.

Updating to 9199, could do either two things, rrod, requiring an 8955 re-flash, or blow an efuse, meaning no more homebrew.

The media update comes from xbl, and will never be on a disk.

You can find all this info by searching.
Wizshaw

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:30:30 PM »

So I cant update to 9199...

So is it ok if I just update the media part? And since it isnt located on the disk, then it means that it is located on my other harddrive. I guess the best thing is to get a small memory card and use that for my saves.
Wizshaw

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 10:29:14 AM »

Looking at the other thread above me, the media update is a file that is just replaced?

Thats it? It doesnt install or anything?

So what does it do exactly? Plays video files? And I cant see how it would harm anything considering it doesnt install anywhere... correct?
HiTec
Hacker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 11:15:44 AM »

Updating to 9199, could do either two things, rrod, requiring an 8955 re-flash, or blow an efuse, meaning no more homebrew

If R6T3 is removed/disabled, it will: start the update -> try to blow fuse first, cant do that so it will fail the update. Xbox 360 will still work correctly, cause update doesn´t mess with the flash. I have personally tested this. R6T3 enabled...well, that could be a different story, i will not test that  Tongue
modguru
Master Hacker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 12:47:08 PM »

to avoid asking you the console when you attach the hhd the update you must make the update ..
here is two things you must know 
1 do not make the 9199 update  this update they will destroy your console .
2 make soure you are downloading the 8955 update  you can take it from here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3DLZ9Y7H
format one usb flash in fat 32 format and put the $SystemUpdate file in the root of the flash  and just plug in the flash to the console  .
when the console ask for update  say yes and complete the update .. 
this we call avatar update and nothing bad will hapent ....
just be soure to take the 8955 update nothing elese ....

Wizshaw

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 03:59:10 PM »

hey Modguru

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Doing it now, but what about the media update. Its ok to apply that one too? Nobody has answered me directly, probably because im asking stupid questions. But I bought the machine separately like this and I dont want to have to buy another one if I screw something up.

There isnt exactly a faq on what everything does, its just a lot of searching and putting things together. Im not interested in expanding my knowledge on the subject, I just want to get the thing to work as the system has limited use as it is.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:04:40 PM by Wizshaw » Logged
damox
Master Hacker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 09:34:41 PM »

Doing it now, but what about the media update. Its ok to apply that one too? Nobody has answered me directly ..

Yes it is fine, you said you read the other thread :S
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: