I've started working on the project last saturday, here are some pictures of the progress:
Disassembling the CD-player:
Disassembling the console and first test fit:
Cutting the excess plastic from the inside of the frontpanel:
Cutting the faceplate for donor parts:
After this (I know, should have waited
) I took a good look at the CD player's original skip button and figured that I could mod this as power button including ROL (didn't think of this in my design because I simply yhought it wouldn't be possible) and thus preserve the original looks of the player even more.
What a waste of the faceplate (eventhough it was only € 5,-), but for my plan I need the original powerbutton anyway.
First I drilled a hole in the right place for the button and test fitted it (The hole looks kinda rough, but that's just curled up paint and I can't be bothered with sanding it yet beause the entire front panel will need a lot of filling and sanding anyway):
Next I disassembled it, cut out the back and made an acryllic one.
Because the original button is larger in diameter than the new one I need to make some sort of an "adapter" to guide the light to the smaller button.
For this I took out a scrap piece of acryllic and started working on it with my table drill/router (it's actually not really made for this kind of small work, but as the part will be invissible in the end it did the trick for me:
I did everything three times in case something should go wrong (it's faster to do each step three times than having to do them all over again afterwards) and as you can see in the 6th pic. I'm glad I did
And here's the part after some minor last minute changes, sanding and pollishing (with toothpaste), still needs some more work, but roughly it's finished Click here for a slideshow of all of the imagesand here for the picture gallery
Till next time!