XboxHacker BBS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 06:40:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 Game .DDX Files?  (Read 4716 times)
bifnewman

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2010, 10:12:07 AM »

I am trying to port the Fallout New Vegas DLC called Dead Money to the PC because right now it is an xbox exclusive. IMO, this game sucks on xbox due to instability and slow loading times even when its installed to the HDD. Anyways, I was able to get the Xbox 360 files for the Dead Money DLC and extract the Xbox Live container. I loaded it up and noticed there were no textures or sounds at all... I then extracted both the DeadMoney - Main.bsa and DeadMoney - Sound.bsa and tried ArchiveInvalidation without even looking at the files. The game eventually crashed on a endless loading screen when I went into the manhole that contains the DLC content. So I looked further into the DLC and noticed two different file types. One was xma for sound files and the other was ddx for textures. I did some research on it and turns out the ddx file is almost like a dds. Could this be an encrypted dds? Do you think that the ddx would be decrypted to a dds in the xbox 360 ram? in that case, is there a way to dump the ram? even on a jtag? Does anyone have any experience with these files?
Coniger12
Master Hacker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 01:37:02 PM »

Compare a ddx file from vanilla Oblivion to a dds from the PC version to see if ddx texures have extra headers. XMA files are similar to WMA, just with additional header info. Hopefully you can figure it all out, and it turns out there are tools to do the job already.

I like being the only person to rip from Lite-Ons using uxrip360.
bifnewman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 05:33:38 PM »

Compare a ddx file from vanilla Oblivion to a dds from the PC version to see if ddx texures have extra headers. XMA files are similar to WMA, just with additional header info. Hopefully you can figure it all out, and it turns out there are tools to do the job already.

I found the XMA converter you were talking about.
http://www.ctpax-x.ru/index.php?goto=files&show=24
For anyone who needs it just click the text that says Download only from entire site

There are no utilities for the DDX files right? If so then I will try to compare two files tonight.

Update: Just tried the XMA converter and i couldn't get it to work... I'll remember to update this once something actually works.

Update 2: XMAEncode.exe can do the job but it's in the Xbox SDK. If you can get your "hands" on it, use that.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:18:25 PM by bifnewman » Logged
bifnewman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:35:16 PM »

My brain is turning to mush... I'm starting to confuse myself. I converted the xma files to wav files but it didn't work with ArchiveInvalidator so I guess I have to edit the esm so look for the same audio files but use a .wav extension instead of xma. Or can I just rename them back to xma and it will recognize the wav format anyways? My brain is like frenzied or something.

About the ddx files, Is there anyone that can help me convert them? There is no documentation on them anywhere and when I open 2 identical files (1 from xbox and 1 from pc) in a hex editor, they look completely different and the dds is 682.8kb and the ddx is 412.6kb.

Also, I have found something interesting. When I was browsing the Fallout - Textures2.bsa on PC, (I don't remember the directory I was in) let's say I was in /textures/pipboy3000/ then there would be pipboyarm01.dds along with many other dds files but also there were 3 folders called pc, xbox, and ps3. All 3 folders had all the dds files in it and they were all the same size and everything. Why would bethesda do this? I would think it would take up a lot of extra space (unless they are symlinks) and it's useless having duplicate textures everywhere... Well anyways, I really need help with these ddx files if anyone knows how to do this. All help is appreciated.

Thanks.
gamesquest1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 01:38:48 PM »

maybe try just getting any other pc version dds file and naming it to the file on the xbox dlc, same with the audio see if it works then you can try swapping the converted xbox audio in see if it still works then focus on the textures

ps try them with both the dds and ddx file extension

one thing i recall from using mods on oblivion for 360 was if you added a mod that had textures they *would* actually work but the shadows didn't so when wearing a modded outfit it showed up fine in game but on the char screen it would just appear black, and also the shadows cast by your char where just of the head feet and hands so i don't know if any for of shadow data is included in the xbox format (ddx) but other than those problems the xbox actually showed the textures so i cant see the format being "too" drastically different as for the size differences im sure the xbox versions are less detailed to reduce file size, which will be why they look so different in a hex editor, much like if you had 2 jpegs of the same picture and one compressed the actual data would be very different whilst still; being the same picture

good luck with it anyway's and nice to see someone giving something a try Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 01:47:34 PM by gamesquest1 » Logged
Killar982

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:35:12 PM »

bifnewman, did you ever successfully port the Dead Money addon? I've been trying to convert the xma files for countless hours and barley made any progress. Ive gotten all of the xma files  into wave format at one point using "vgmtoolbox", but multiple files seemed to be corrupted. Could really use some help on this one...
lprot
Hacker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 04:21:28 AM »

Those DDX are easy to decode: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f180/fallout-oblivion-ddx-files-decoded-custom-textures-sight-89150/
damox
Master Hacker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 07:57:32 AM »

It has been nearly a year.  Tongue
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: