Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/xbh360/public_html/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Microsoft Xbox 360 SDK Tutorial for loading homebrew from xbox HDD
XboxHacker BBS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 28, 2014, 10:12:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Xbox 360 SDK Tutorial for loading homebrew from xbox HDD  (Read 18206 times)

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2009, 02:07:44 AM »

This is just a quick  tutorial for those that need help getting programs like MAME loading from the HDD.

For this Tut you need to get the SDK for the 360, also you will need the MAME default.xex and media folder.(not the Retail MAME)

With MAME you don't need to change the flags in the default.xex.(They already have the resrtictions removed and changed from retail to dev.)
You will need to change remove the restriction in the default.xex ( I use X360GameHack)
 I put a check in the following boxes under Xbox360 Patches :
All Region
All Media
Make Devkit
Minimum Lib Version
Remove Revocation Check
Remove Signed Keyvault Only
Remove Encryption
Remove Bounding Path
Browse to the Dir/Folder the holds you default.xex and click Fix
once finished close program

OK next,

Click Start
open Microsoft Xbox 360 SDK
then  open Authoring and Submissions
then open Xbox and Live Authoring and Submission Tool (XLAST)
Once in XLAST click File
Then click New and choose Content Package (This starts the Content Package Wizard)
Click Next
Ok fill in the info:
Content Package Name = What ever you want to call it.(name of game or App)
Project Directory = The folder where you Default.xex and other files/folders are.
Title ID of Game = I really dont know what this is for, I just make up my own number (Example:1111111)
Name of Game = Well the name of the game.
Publisher Offering ID= Another one where I made up a number (Example:2222222)
Activation Date = I left this alone.
Dashboard Icon = This is the image you see when you select the game (64x64 pixels) is the max size of the image)
Title Image = I use the same as the Dashboard Icon. ( You can make another if you like. Same size restrictions 64x64 pixels)
Content Type = Choose Demo
Click Next
Publisher Flags : I leave these alone Click Next
Select language
Display Settings : This is the place where you put the name and info that will be seen when looking thru the game library.
Click Finish to complete the wizard.

Ok now the project Preview pops up.
Here we need to enter the contents of the game(the default.xex and other flies/folders)
Right click the contents folder on the left
then choose Add File - add the default.xex and other single files.(just the default.xex for MAME)
then right click the contents folder again
choose add folders - add any folders that are needed(like the media folder for MAME)
after that click the Install Locally button (The button to the right of the save button up top)
If all goes well  it will output a folder into the the root dir of you game folder called online.
Go into the Online folder and you will see a file that is all numbers(that is the game all packaged up)

Ok now you need to get a program to add the file to the Xbox HDD  ( I use Xport360)
plug the HDD into the computer and then start Xport360
open and choose your HDD
open partition 3
go to the folder 000000000000000000000000 and open
now this is where you want to find a folder that is empty  : example open the 453268d33 folder, then open the next folder 00080000 this is the last folder where you want to put the file the was in the online folder.(example : 111111102222222) looks like the Title ID and Publisher ID combined.
I believe that is it ( I hope LOL)
Close the program put the HDD back in the Xbox and start it.
Go to Games Library
You should see your MAME game demo there. click and it will load and play
This info is in the config.ini in the media folder
rompath = usb:\Emus\Mame\roms     put Roms on usb in proper place
samplepath = usb:\Emus\Mame\samples
cfg_directory = usb:\Emus\Mame\cfg
nvram_directory = usb:\Emus\Mame\nvram
memcard_directory = usb:\Emus\Mame\memcard
input_directory = usb:\Emus\Mame\inp
state_directory = usb:\Emus\Mame\sta
artpath = usb:\Emus\Mame\artwork
snapshot_directory = usb:\Emus\Mame\snap
diff_directory = usb:\Emus\Mame\diff
ctrlrpath = usb:\Emus\Mame\ctrlr
comment_directory = usb:\Emus\Mame\comments
cheat_file = usb:\Emus\Mame\cheat.dat
title_path = usb:\Emus\Mame\titles
I hope I covered everything Gook luck
This tut is just from my own personal experience and is what worked for me.
The only limitation I have at the moment is not being able to transfer files 3gig or better to the HDD.( I think it might be a software limitation but I am not certain.)

Have Fun,
KPKev

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 05:32:13 AM by Arakon » Logged
damox
Master Hacker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 02:39:07 AM »

This is about as useful as a tutorial for usenet/torrents.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 03:32:10 AM »

Glad you found it useful LOL +1 to to your post Roll Eyes
I'm sure someone will. 

Maybe I should have labeled it Noobs Shocked

I am sure your post will help someone further their knowledge. Grin 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:45:52 AM by 122275 » Logged
Arakon
Administrator
Xbox Hacker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 03:33:44 AM »

And before anyone asks: There will be no links for any XDK files or the whole XDK here, or anywhere in the forum.

I do NOT give support by email, PM, ICQ or whatever. Anyone annoying me that way will have his balls removed. With a rusty butterknife. Slowly. And I'll enjoy doing it.
Gazcoigne
Xbox Hacker

Suckin Diesel since 1983

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 03:46:43 AM »

thanks i thought this was useful ok maybe not wrote out the best but it covers the main points and lets some of us make a start on understanding the process

no need to be dismissive/negative if you dont like it then dont comment.

jelle2503
Xbox Hacker

elitist prick

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 04:00:03 AM »

very usefull for those who're just getting into this business! thx

damox
Master Hacker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 04:31:56 AM »

People seem to have mistaken the intent of my post.

I thought this topic would have been binned asap. Since when is it acceptable to discuss the usage of the sdk?

In reference to the usenet/torrent, I was pointing out xbh will never give a guide on how to pirate games etc.
Arakon
Administrator
Xbox Hacker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 04:55:33 AM »

The main point of the tutorial is that you can create packages for homebrew programs that way.
I did edit out the references to retail games, though.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 04:57:11 AM by Arakon » Logged

I do NOT give support by email, PM, ICQ or whatever. Anyone annoying me that way will have his balls removed. With a rusty butterknife. Slowly. And I'll enjoy doing it.
Grimdoomer
Master Hacker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 06:26:00 AM »

Your missing some important info and some of your info is just wrong or misleading.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 06:44:51 AM »

Please feel free to elaborate. I am by no means an expert. This is just the way I did it and it worked for me . I will gladly update the tut. I would love to know the correct way and the detail of how it all works. Smiley

Thanx
Kev
B1N4RY
Xbox Hacker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 06:23:47 PM »

Very informative thread, thank you for your contribution.
wickwack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 02:57:24 PM »

great tut, i really wanted to find out if there is a way to change de rompath from usb: ... to something like hdd1: ... or someother way that we can either:

1. Place roms inside the pir/con package
2. Place roms in the same folder on xbox hd... on a folder siting right next to the 11111111111102222222222 package file...

Putting them inside the package might not be a good idea as it would be that easy to add/remove roms... thats why i think option 2 would be better, that way we can load them using XexLoader or some other of the available methods.

I will go and try this at home... im thinking Hdd1:/Content/0000000000000000000/[emptyfolder1]/00080000 might do the trick..

will report back with info... out
igbeserk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 04:12:11 PM »

great tut, i really wanted to find out if there is a way to change de rompath from usb: ... to something like hdd1: ... or someother way that we can either:

1. Place roms inside the pir/con package
2. Place roms in the same folder on xbox hd... on a folder siting right next to the 11111111111102222222222 package file...

Putting them inside the package might not be a good idea as it would be that easy to add/remove roms... thats why i think option 2 would be better, that way we can load them using XexLoader or some other of the available methods.

I will go and try this at home... im thinking Hdd1:/Content/0000000000000000000/[emptyfolder1]/00080000 might do the trick..

will report back with info... out

any luck on that? i've been trying to do that also have my roms on the 360 hdd and have mame link to that.  pain in the ass indeed.
modslave

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 04:51:18 PM »

In this thread it was found deleting the .ini makes the roms show upp that are on the hdd:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=699285&st=0&gopid=4609554&#entry4609554

BTW nice tutorial, more info on how people get it to work for them is always good
jelle2503
Xbox Hacker

elitist prick

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 01:44:23 PM »

deleting the ini file causes the roms not to load in mame

change it to game:\Roms , and create a demo container with a Roms folder that's how you load from HDD

Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: